Re: [wheezy] Icon Editor For KDE ?

On 15/06/15 17:15, Nick Boyce wrote:

I wonder whether this may have anything to do with the lack of a special-purpose SVG-oriented icon editor.

Inkscape is probably the best Free vector drawing programme going, and it has an icon preview mode...

At one SVG icon-set page I found :
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net/
the author comments
   "All icons in BlueSphere theme are designed using
   SVG format. I have used Sodipodi vector-drawing
   program,

...and Sodipodi is the ancestor of Inkscape, as it were.

and partially hand-crafted (!!!!!) SVG (XML)
   files using KWrite" - (my exclamation marks).

All part of the beauty of the format! Nobody goes to the trouble of hand-crafting JPEGs, but text-based files allow you do to that.

[As an aside, I'm faintly horrified to find this standard 128px x 128px SVG icon
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oxygen480-status-dialog-information.svg
occupies a file size of 120Kb ! .... looking at the source recalls the old joke
"XML is like violence - if it doesn't work, use more"]

There's a bit of fat in the XML that could be removed, methinks, and it gzips down to 16kB [the KDE icons, when they're SVG, seem to be shipped as .sgvz]. Furthermore, I ran it through Scour [http://codedread.com/scour/] and got it down to 17kB. Gzipping /that/ got me a file of 4344 bytes!

I wonder what changed people's minds.

The kids don't use desktops any more, it's all about phones and tablets.

alexd