Re: [wheezy] Icon Editor For KDE ?

On Saturday 13 Jun 2015 21:32:36 Alex DEKKER wrote:
> On 13/06/15 19:04, Nick Boyce wrote:
> > All this leaves me wondering what tool KDE developers on Debian use to
> > create their packages' icons .... can anyone give me a clue ?
>
> Inkscape? AIUI, KDE icons are SVG [and have been for some time] so a
> vector editor would be the order of the day.

Wow ... thanks, I had no idea.  That change has completely passed me by.

I've just been googling for anything I can find on the subject, and I can't say
I've found much.  The techbase.kde.org page talks mostly about PNG files and
barely mentions SVGs:
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorial/Icons
and the same is true at:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qt-widgets-icons-example.html
but I see that http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qicon.html
has the comment:
"The QIcon class provides scalable icons in different modes and states"
"Since Qt 4.2, an icon engine that supports SVG is included"

I guess this is all in aid of a more luscious pixel-sharp desktop so it must
be a good thing :)

Besides Inkscape (which I last used an aeon ago on Windows), do you believe I
could use Karbon ("a vector drawing application ... support for ODG, SVG, PNG,
PDF, WMF) ?  That would surely be the KDE way .... I'll try it.

I'd welcome a pointer to KDE requirements for a suitable SVG .....
I see here:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/inkscape/ch055_creating-icons/
that a recommendation for Inkscape is "Icon 32 x 32", but I imagine there's
more to it than that.  Style guidelines ?  Colour depth ?

If there are no such docs then I'll find some SVG icon files and try to figure it
out.

Cheers (and thanks for the clue),
Nick
--
A week in the lab saves an hour in the library