Re: kmail email filtering only works sometimes

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 11:42:53 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2014-10-13, 16:41:58, john Culleton wrote:
> > When the switch was made from KDE3.5 to KDE4 I
> > struggled with KDE and kmail for a while but
> > ultimately adopted the XFCE GUI and also Claws
> > Mail. Thus far I have seen no compelling reason
> > to go back to KDE or its utilities like kmail.

I usually find this sort of "let's drop KMail and KDE" messages on this list
distasteful. How are they promoting any interest of the members of this list?

> You mean that the classic unix virtue of separating functions into discrete
> programs as used by KMail2's architecture is not viable for end user
> programs?
>
> And that a more monolithic approach of having everything in one program
> works better and should have been used like in Claws?

That said, I also find defenses of KMail2 odd. KMail2 is not production-quality
software, and as far as I'm aware, never has been. Further, as far as I
understand, some of the flaws are indeed in the architecture -- e.g. the fact
that the message-duplication-on-filtering bug (which is a data-loss bug!) has
not been solved in over five years, is IMO a strong indication that the lines
between KMail2 and Akonadi were drawn in the wrong places.

Shai.