kmail email filtering only works sometimes

I am using kmail (through kontact) for my work email, and everr since I upgraded to 4.14.1-1, mail filtering has been hit or miss. At times, you have to right click on a message and click "apply all filters", and it will properly apply the filters, but most of the time, it does not. In prior versions, it would filter automatically.

Was there a change in kmail that broke this feature, or did something not get upgraded properly?

--b