kde save dialogs and nfs shares

I'm running an up-to-date version of jessie with kde 4.13.3. After a routine
upgrade last night I started having problems with kde's save dialogs in google
chrome and also in opera. When I tried to save a page in either browser the
save dialog box remained grayed out and never loaded. A couple of times the
entire desktop locked up and i was forced to do a hard shutdown. The save
dialogs worked fine in dolphin, konqueror, calligra, etc.

After some googling I found that unreachable network shares might be causing
the problem, so I commented out one unused nfs share in /etc/fstab and now the
save dialogs work as expected in chrome and opera. Is there any other solution
to this problem other than the one I'm using, i.e. commenting out inactive
network shares in /etc/fstab?

Thanks for any thoughts.