Re: kmail search and email completion problems

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:56:16 -0700
prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:

> i'm running sid with kmail 4.12.4
>
> everything works well except:
>
> 1. i can't Find Messages because i get
>
> "Nepomuk cannot make search. Errors found: All
> folders selected are empty or were not indexed."
>
> even though akonadiconsole's agent akonadi
> nepomuk feeder says "indexing completed". in
> fact, it even shows email indexing taking place
> when there is new mail. when i manually force
> it to happen through folder properties, nothing
> seems to happen and in there it claims "Still
> not indexed".
>

> 2. email address autocompletion doesn't work
> from kaddressbook (though it does from recent
> addresses).
>

> after researching, i am led to believe from
> various postings that these issues are both
> somehow related to nepomuk and akonadi. for
> instance, nina steiger writes in the "Kmail
> address completion from
> addressbook" (debian.user.kde): "I have Mail
> indexing activated as well as nepomuk and the
> address completion is now 10 fold faster than
> before. (Debian wheezy and kde 4.11 from
> jessie)"
>
> so some people have things working properly.
>
> i have kde-full installed, but had separately
> installed virtuoso, nepomuk and strigi (before
> which kmail couldn't send email).
>
> what can be done to solve these two issues?
>
> (crossposted to debian.user, debian.kde.talk,
> debian.user.kde)

If available consider using the email client
Claws Mail. It doesn't use virtuoso, nepomuk or
strigi. I switched a few years ago and never
looked back.
Here is the download page:

http://www.claws-mail.org/downloads.php?section=downloads

There are versions for Debian and Ubuntu among
others.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press