Re: KMail: MBox account via sftp -- supposed to work?

On Wednesday, 2014-03-05, 20:25:30, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2014 19:29:27 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2014-03-05, 19:15:50, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a way to monitor local mail notifications on my home
> > > server, ie the stuff cron jobs and daemons send to root and are
> > > forwarded to my user account there.
> > >
> > > I'm much in favor of a lightweight solution and I've stumbled upon
> > > the>
> > >
> > > approach to create a KMail Mbox account via sftp:
> > >   sftp://michael@my-server:22/var/mail/michael
> > >
> > > This only sort of works. KMail (or the Akonadi resource behind it)
> > > read the mbox's content once, but doesn't appear to update it when
> > > new messages arrive.
> >
> > There is no change notification over SFTP so you need to configure an
> > interval check.
> > Right click the folder, properties, retrieval (third tab, might be
> > called differently, translated back from German localisation which
> > calls it "Abruf").
>
> I'm using the English locale :-) Unfortunately, setting the sync
> interval doesn't seem to have an effect. Neither does manually checking
> mail for the account or updating the folder. I only get new messages
> when I restart the corresponding agent in Akonadi Console. I can also
> trigger a sync by switching the Read-Only only option.

Hmm.
I've looked into the code and it seems that the reload call is missing from
anywhere but the configuration change handling.

Curiously, the ICAL resource, which shares the same base code, does reload on
folder refresh.

Even more curiously, the vCard resource, which also shares the same base code,
is also missing the reload for refresh call.

No idea how that differences emerged, my guesses are
* someone working on the ICAL resource changes base code and only changes the
ICAL resource, e.g. because they wanted to test it first and then forgot about
changing the others

* the re-downloading causes problems, was temporarily removed until a better
solution was found and got only reactivated in the ICAL resource, possibly for
similar as above.

Either way, that should probably be filed as a bug report (there could already
be one).

Cheers,
Kevin