Re: KMail: ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

On Wednesday, 2014-02-12, 11:48:25, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> KMail (4.11.5; sid) just lost a message I was sending without any
> apparent trace. Hoping to get it back somehow, I started digging around
> in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail. Nothing there, because the newest file in
> there appears to be from July 2013.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser. In such a case the answer is usually --
> "Akonadi". I speculate that the contents of that directory, the dimap
> subdirectory in particular, is just debris. In my case, dimap alone
> amounts to 2.5GB of dead weight. I think when updating to the Akonadi-
> based KMail users should have been informed that the old cache directory
> is no longer needed.

The way the standard migration process works is to make the old dimap cache
accessible as its own resource.

E.g. I have the contents of my dimap cache in KMail under the name of
"Disconnected IMAP"-Zwischenspeicher des vorigen KMails

I think the rational is that mail in there might not be accessible through
IMAP anymore, e.g. account no longer working.
The resource adapter approach allows to still do that or alternatively delete
it from within a mail interface such as KMail.

I.e. "no longer needed" depends on the user's setup.

Cheers,
Kevin