Re: How to clean up Kontact calendar mess?

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:07:52 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> D. R. Evans said the following at 01/14/2014
> 03:21 PM :
>

> > Now to go see if I can get calendars to work
> > properly at last :-)
> >

> Well, I managed to get one calendar working OK.
> But there still seems to be something screwy :-(
>
> Although I can create and use a calendar inside
> Kontact, once I have done so, any attempt to
> edit it (Kontact seems to use "edit" not to
> mean "edit the calendar file" but, rather,
> "edit the settings for this calendar") produces
> an error: cannot edit the calendar folder
> akonadi_ical_resource_8
>
> If I try to find this "folder" (which I
> understand is what KDE calls a directory) using
> "find" fails to find it: [HN:~] find . -name
> akonadi_ical_resource_8 [HN:~]
>
> Similarly, trying to delete a calendar produces:
>   You cannot remove your standard calendar
>
> This all looks like some kind of permissions
> problem, although I don't understand how that
> can be, since I've been careful to add and use
> calendars only as a normal user, and the
> permissions are certainly correct on the actual
> underlying calendar ical files.
>
> Is there somewhere a decent description of the
> relationship between calendar "folders" -- such
> as the akonadi_ical_resource_8 folder mentioned
> above -- the contents of such folders, and the
> actual calendar file? It all looks very fragile
> to me, but maybe that's just because I don't
> understand the correct relationship and things
> are still somehow incorrect on my system.
>
>   Doc

I would consider using a different tool for
calendar creating and update. I use a template
from Scribus for calendaring.

In general if there is an alternative to a KDE
program to do a task I use the alternative.
The main fault with KDE ops is that they are
overly integrated. I use one program for
email, another for maintaining my calendar,
and my own creation (TeX based) for addressing
envelopes.

--
There are a few exceptions, but very few. I use
Okular because installing Acroread gets harder

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press