Need help in debugging

Hi, and thank you all for maintaining Qt-Kde in Debian!

I'm randomly experiencing a bug with Kde on my Debian testing:
I right-click on desktop, select "Leave" (the one with red icon) and nothing happens,
i.e. the logout/turn off/restart menu doesn't show up...
In those rare cases, selecting "leave" from K-menu didn't work either:
I had to open a terminal and "halt" as root... :(

As I don't know which component of Kde isn't (sometime) working, I don't know how to debug it (looks to me like in http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging
is teached how to debug a crash, not a non-working button...).

Could you please point me to some doc regarding how to debug this?

Thank you!
Marco