Re: Email indexing starts from 0% in each new session

On Saturday, 2013-11-16, 16:22:14, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Saturday 16 November 2013 14:54:17 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Saturday, 2013-11-16, 11:36:25, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > I'm not quite sure how email indexing is supposed to work. The
> > > experience I get from the recent upgrades in unstable is that
> > > indexing starts anew at 0% each time I start/re-login to a KDE
> > > session.
> > >
> > > It pegs at least one core to 100% and makes the fans do overtime.
> > > Because that rather annoys me, I had suspended email indexing. It
> > > claimed to have indexed 9% (~60.000 emails), but when I resumed
> > > indexing just now (same session as when I suspended it). It quickly
> > > dropped from 100%(!) through a few intermediate percentages down to
> > > 0%, now slowly working its way back up.
> > >
> > > The behavior I'm seeing doesn't seem right to me. Is it supposed to
> > > work like that?
> >
> > Not expected behavior. We are incidentally debugging that right now at
> > the KDE PIM sprint :)
>
> Well, I've disabled Nepomuk Semantic Desktop and now KMail has become
> almost snappy. No more hassle with indexers burning my CPU, of course.

You can alternatively just disable the mail indexing.

> However, when I started this message, KMail hauled this notice at me:
>
>     You do not have the semantic desktop system enabled.
>     The following features will not work correctly:
>
>     * Recipient auto-completion
>     * Distribution lists
>     * Per-contact crypto preferences
>
> I completely understand that disabling Semantic Desktop "deprives" me of
> search and tags, but why the features above are tied in with Semantic
> Desktop is beyond me. At times like this I tend to think that KDE and
> especially KDEPIM has some serious architectural issues.

Well, one of the services provided by Nepomuk is search. It has search
algorithms implemented by people who specialize in search.
Hence the idea to use that for search functionality in KDEPIM.

That was a sound architectural desisgn, delegate to software that specializes
in what you are trying to do.
It wasn't forseeable that this would take so long to stabilize.

Cheers,
Kevin