Re: KMail 2: problems after recent changes in unstable

Hi,

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2013, 02:45:37 schrieb Shai Berger:
> > But until it does get better, please avoid promoting it.
>
> What do you mean by that?
>
> At some time KDE SC 4.10 had to enter unstable. And I think its better to do
> it now, rather than later in the development cycle of Jessie.
>
> I do think that KDEPIM 2 still needs more stabilization and robustness work,
> but I also think is would rather unwise to goal at shipping Jessie with
> KDEPIM 1 still which is unsupported from upstream.

I definitely agree. Further, KDE 4.10 (except for KMail2) is a huge
improvement. I'm just not familiar enough with Debian's rules for when a
package passes from unstable to testing; I would like KMail2 not to go to
testing in its current state, and I'm not sure having important bugs open
against it is enough to stop it.

> 1) Use it (if you can bear it).

I am using it on the home machine, and this motivates me to help a lot more
than anything else could, I think; I would like to keep it off the work
machine, where I feel less at liberty to hurt my productivity in the interest
of progress.

Perhaps this is a good way to state what I asked for originally: A package
whose use carries an "if you can bear it" disclaimer is something I would
expect in unstable, but much less so in testing.

> 2) Report bugs [upstream] and really try to find clear and easy reproducers.

My main pain points are (repeatedly, to my regret) reported, and I was able to
also report a new (minor) problem after only a few days of use. I made sure
they are reported in Debian as well.

I'll try to help upstream more, then.

Thanks,
	Shai.