Re: Recommended way to use Debian?

I use skype and pulseaudio in Debian Wheezy. I just recently started using pulseaudio and
I like it, especially since I have 2 sound cards and I like to have System and Skype sounds go through my analog output while my music going through a digital output.

What I have observed, however, is that sometimes pulseaudio just stops working, and when that happens
any other program that needs sound just freezes instead of making sounds.  It becomes a "cascading" effect of frozen apps that won't work even after restarting them.
It happens often when I receive an IM (which results in a system sound) while I am talking on Skype.

I believe this is a bug in how Skype uses Pulse, or a bug in Pulse, but in either case,
there is an instability in this particular combination of software that forces me to either logout/login again to KDE, or to reboot. Restarting pulse doesn't do it for me.

I did not observe this instability until I started using pulseaudio. If Skype uses Alsa directly, it seems to be more stable.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Shervin Emami <shervin.emami@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using the NVIDIA driver from Debian Stable, but since I have Optimus (both an Intel & NVIDIA GPU), it would be using the Intel driver for normal display, and I made it use Mesa as the default GL library for this reason. So maybe my problems are related to Optimus, I wouldn't be surprised :-( I work for NVIDIA and yet even I have numerous software & hardware troubles due to Optimus! I'll try using the latest NVIDIA driver, supposedly it has some Optimus support now so it doesn't need Bumblebee anymore.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Shervin Emami <shervin.emami@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm even using the Debian Stable packages for
> NVIDIA GPU and CUDA toolkit and OpenGL.

Are you using the nvidia driver or nouveau? I had similar problems
with nouveau and desktop effects enabled.