Re: Back to KDEPIM 1 and KDE SC 4.8.4 due to repeated mail data loss

On Thursday, 2013-04-18, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. April 2013 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > > Thanks Kevin, thats what I thought, but it is good to head a
> > > confirmation.
> > >
> > > Andras mentioned that he is also using POP3 with Akonadi and he has no
> > > data losses.
> >
> > It is also the main setup used by current KMail maintainer Laurent Montel
> > AFAIK.
>
> Thanks. So I know that it has quite some testing coverage. Makes it even
> more strange why it lost data on my setup.
>
> I still wonder whether others are using mutiple maildir resource or let all
> the mails downloaded from POP3 flow into one maildir resource.

My guess would be that the most common setup is a single resource, but I also
don't think it would make a big difference.

My bet would be on filtering, because this is usually where the setups begin
to vary widely.
E.g.  some setups only have simple rules for matching on headers and moving to
folders, some have more complex rules or more complex targets (e.g. move and
change state), some have mails pass through external programs, etc.

Those code paths then get only a fraction of the testing the main path gets
and also makes bugs less easier to reproduce.

Cheers,
Kevin