Re: Deebian 7.0 needs to support MTP (for Android), else it will lose relevance

On 09/02/13 00:37, Thomas Pircher wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 Pavel Mihaduk <leave@nixkid.com> wrote:
>> There's a package freeze policy, which defines the procedures quite
>> clearly;
>
> I'm not a debian developer, I'm using Debian/stable on servers and
> Debian/testing on my home computer. Although it is sometimes tempting to
> wish for newer packages in 'stable', I very much appreciate the stability
> of the system, which is one of the main reasons for me to use Debian.
>
> I have seen this type of discussions come up often over time (since
> potato, IIRC), and I'm glad you guys honour the policy and don't compromise
> stability for the sake of new features. Just to let you know that there are
> user who do value your emphasis on stability.
>
>> besides, Qt-KDE team is not that big
>
> But you do a great job. I'm looking forward to see KDE 4.10 in the next
> testing after the release! :-)
>
> Thomas

1++

I strongly agree and suggest that we represent the silent majority of
long term Debian users. You cannot introduce packages that have only
been around for a year or two into Stable without diluting what Stable
means. Please don't.

If I want bleeding edge I'll Backport it or use Backports - with all the
risks and hassles it can bring to a complex, reliable, robust, and
Production critical box. And there's always Experimental and Unstable -
which is where packages that *are* Unstable or Experimental belong.

Debian is *not* a Desktop distro. Let's keep what works, and has done
for several decades.

There are no Desktop "wars" - except in the mind of users with General
delusions.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-