Re: Deebian 7.0 needs to support MTP (for Android), else it will lose relevance

> For Samsung devices, it seems to be some, but not all devices. Looking at the
> tablets, you have usb mass storage support in the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1
> N8000 and the N8020, but not in the N8010. The N8010 and N8020 are marked as
> "new" on samsung.at, so I guess there is no fixed policy for/against
> exclusively using MTP...
>
> (Though I do agree that MTP seems to be on the rise...)

Also just wanted to mention that almost all, if not all, of the devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.  You can directly send files via Bluetooth, which works here with android 4.0.4 and 4.1.1 using kde 4.8.4 in wheezy.

You can also get software from Google's play store to connect to NFS or samba shares via Wi-Fi and send/receive files that way.  You can also get FTP and sftp clients for android just as easily. Wi-Fi adhoc works as well, so you don't even need an access point.

Even if you have one of the devices that doesn't support USB mass storage, there are definitely a lot of alternatives for file transfer.

Though of course I look forward to kde with mtp in backports if anybody has time to do it.  :)