Re: Deebian 7.0 needs to support MTP (for Android), else it will lose relevance

On Feb 7, 2013 1:33 AM, "Alexey Eromenko" <al4321@gmail.com> wrote:
> The result:
> Google decided to remove USB Mass Storage from Android 4.x devices.
> Newer Android devices support MTP-only.

I don't believe that is accurate as my HP tablet running Cyanogenmod9 with Android 4.0.4, my Motorola Razor cell phone with Android 4.0.4, and my girlfriend's HTC One X with Android 4.1.1  work just fine with Debian Wheezy + KDE 4.8.4.  I can send and receive files between devices with zero issues, and these devices are all "up-to-date" with the latest stable android available for the devices.

I assume you mean the more bleeding edge android 4.2 or 4.3 which is currently only supported on a handful of devices, removed USB mass storage?  If so, I just won't upgrade my devices as the upgrade is always optional.  You should be able to flash an older version of android on your devices that you already purchased if you accidently upgraded to MTP-only, so it's not absolutely critical to support these MTP only devices for now.

Sure, some devices will come out with 4.2 and i assume that means they may only support MTP forever,  but if you need it, that's what Debian's backports is for.