Re: My impressions on KDE and KDEPIM 4.10

A Dimecres 23 Gener 2013, Sune Vuorela va escriure:
> On 2013-01-23, Diane Trout <diane@ghic.org> wrote:
> > I looked and I don't think so. I'm hoping that if get the debian packaging
> > repositories up we can get attention from the debian developers to start
> > pulling the updated packages into experimental.
>
> Working with the debian developers *now* is a much simpler way to get
> our attention.
> Providing simple and easy integratable patches or well done git branches
> to pull from is a way.
>
> Providing packages in a 3rd party repository is not a good way to try to
> get attention.

it's not easy to collaborate with the debian-kde maintainers, probably
because, as you have said below (...we have in the past been burned a bit..)
and in MHO not _only_ for the 3rd party repositories. Probably you received a
lot of attacks. The transition from kde3 to kde4 was a pain.

Otherwise there are a lot of people that would like to help, but I think that
it's reasonable that the "community" of kde users in debian sometimes are a
bit frustrating with the version of the packages in stable, for example.

This could be solved with backports, but neither squeeze of lenny had, afaik.

> Also note that we have in the past been burned a bit by public 3rd party
> repositories where something wasn't done as expected, so it messed a lot
> with the updates and upgrades, so, if you choose to publish packages
> in a 3rd party repository, please somehow put a 'mark' in the version
> number - e.g. using 0dtrout1 or something like that, so that if we see
> upgrade issues, we know which ones is ones we need to spend time on,
> and which ones is due to 3rd party packages.
>

> But we do appreciate help and people doing work, as long as it doesn't
> come back in a bad way later, but our focus is currently mostly on
> getting debian wheezy out of the door so we can start putting new stuff
> in unstable again.

ok, but I'm a bit loss. Looking on [1] only a few rc bugs and almost solved
affect releasing wheezy, and no one of the qt-kde packagers. Do you know what
happens? Are the release team waiting to the fosdem? ;-)

Regards,

Leo

[1]
http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy_not_sid&base=only&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc