Re: Trinity

On July 12, 2012 06:40:28 AM Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2012 m. of July 12 d., Thursday 00:10:57 Bruce Sass wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, the obvious solution is moving to obsoleted DE.
> >
> > I think you mean, STABLE, not "obsoleted"... Trinity is actively being
> > developed (albeit slowly), and is a sane, somewhat lighter weight[1],
> > alternative to the resource hungry bleeding edge which is KDE 4, for
> > those who want a KDE experience without all the blood.
>
> Trinity discussion is completely irrelevant for debian-kde mailing list
> because:
>
> 1) Trinity is not in Debian.

True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems which
makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some random piece of
source out there.

> 2) Trinity is not and has never been KDE despite its origins

Despite its orgins as a continuation of the KDE-3.5 codebase, eh. ;)

> So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is crap,
> Trinity rulez".

Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!

However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place within
Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive to bring it up--
this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4 resides, and this is the
place with the most potential for finding interested users.

- Bruce