Re: KDE PIM packaging

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 schrieb Dietz Pröpper:
> Martin Steigerwald:
> > The switch to Akonadi for KMail is a big one.
>
> And a quite questionable, too.

Everything is questionable.

But I believe that the fundamental decision to use a database for metadata
is sound.

> > And I think even right now
> > there is no way of automatic migration thats working out okay in most
> > cases.
>
> Wow. What do they smoke over at KDE Central?

Not a very helpful comment in my oppinion. And nothing for me to follow up
on.

> > Thus the recommended procedure as far as I am aware of is to
> > recreate mail accounts and reimport mail from IMAP server or POP3
> > mail directory. As far as I read its usually also necessary to
> > recreate all filter rules.
>
> Fine. I have a ~/Mail around 1G in size and a forest of filter rules.
> This "recommended procedure" is simply not feasible for me.
>
> Add to this the quite braindama^W questionable idea to move not only
> metadata stuff but the complete maildir to akonadi, and *I* will be out
> of the game, for sure.

Even if repeated even more times it will not become true.

Akonadi is a metadata cache. Not the mail store.

So once again also here on this list:

Please read

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

Thanks,