Re: KDE PIM packaging

On Tuesday, 2012-06-19, Dietz Pröpper wrote:
> Martin Steigerwald:

> > And I think even right now
> > there is no way of automatic migration thats working out okay in most
> > cases.
>
> Wow. What do they smoke over at KDE Central?

Cuban cigars, I recon because they go well with the Cuban rum they are
drinking over there as well.

Fortunately nobody at KDEPIM Central smokes, though it is rumored that they
occasionally drink beer.

The migration tool has worked quite well on my setup, though I always run it
manually, i.e. not indirectly through starting KMail.
Seems to depend on quite some variables though, e.g. config options used, etc.

Unfortunately work on a much more flexible importer (as in support for
pause/resume/rerun, etc) has not moved forward as anticipated due to resource
constraints.

> > Thus the recommended procedure as far as I am aware of is to
> > recreate mail accounts and reimport mail from IMAP server or POP3 mail
> > directory. As far as I read its usually also necessary to recreate all
> > filter rules.
>
> Fine. I have a ~/Mail around 1G in size and a forest of filter rules.
> This "recommended procedure" is simply not feasible for me.

Size of ~/Mail is mostly irrelevant, it is more a question of per-folder and
per-message meta data, e.g. tags on messages, folder specific config options,
etc.

> Add to this the quite braindama^W questionable idea to move not only
> metadata stuff but the complete maildir to akonadi, and *I* will be out of
> the game, for sure.

Good thing then that idea has never occured to the respective developers.

Cheers,
Kevin