Re: How to show birthdays defined in KAddressbook in KOrganizer

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Thanks, but unfortunately this did not work either. There was no resource
> "Birthday & Anniversaries".

> The first thing I realized was that my account was not in the mysql
> group.

Neither me. There is no need for that.

> After adding it, I finally got the "Birthday & Anniversaries"
> Akonadi resource.

I'm sure you have done something else or you missed the resource at first.

> I then added a new user,

you mean a new unix account or a new contact in adressbook ?

> The only problem left is that some birthdays are now shown
> twice, but I think I just live with that for now.

This can happend because you have a duplicate birthday resource ("Akonadi
Birthday & Anniversaries" and "Birthday dates from AdressBook"), a duplicate
Contact resource or a duplicate adressbook, check in System Settings.

To have a correct setup, I would suggest to first create a new blank
account, then logging in. Launch KAdressBook, add 2 contacts with birthday
date, launch KOrganizer and see if they are visible. You might need to
creates resources first. Then you will have something to compare you own
config.

BTW, which KDE version are you using?

> I started using KDE when it was still KDE 1 Beta something, but I think
> Akonadi is really the worst experience I ever had with KDE. While Akonadi
> might in principal be a good piece of software, solving problems related
> to Akonadi is really terrible. I googled for the error messages shown in
> the mysql log files (you can get them using the Akonadi tray application)
> and I only found answers like: use that command. I don't really know what
> it does, but it worked for me. Forums are full of people having problems
> with Akonadi and to me it seems that the majority of people just tried out
> various stuff they found with Google without really understanding what the
> problem actually is and what the solution does. This seems to have two
> reasons: 1. Akonadi seems to be a complex piece of software and most
> people just do not understand it (me included).

I solved *all* my Akonadi problems with these simple rules:
Firts thing to not forget is that *Akonadi is only a cache*. Datas are never
stored in Akonadi.
Second is to check if you have the right version of components. If you use
components from various repositories, you may have mixed versions that
creates problems, checking Akonadi dependencies and repositories solve a lot
of things for me. Check bug report for mysql versions also.
Third, is that our KDE directory is full of old things (I'm also using KDE
from the beginings). Starting a new account (and reimporting datas) can help
a lot with Akonadi problems.
And four, ask for help in Debian's or KDE's lists. On these lists a lot of
people understand how things work (have a look also in Slackware
Linuxquestions.org forums and in SuSE or Fedora lists).

> 2. There seems to be no
> really useful documentation on how to troubleshoot problems.

should we start one? any volunteer? (seriously)

regards
xavier