Re: Is okular unable to open gzipped PDFs?

On Thursday 19 April 2012 18:46:15 Stanley Schade wrote:
> On Thursday 19. April 2012, 15:54:44 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 April 2012 12:04:34 Stanley Schade wrote:
> > > I'm running a Debian testing system with KDE 4.7.4. When I try to open
> > > a file  with the extension .pdf.gz with okular the following error
> > > message
> > >
> > > shows up:
> > >

> > > "Could not open /path/to/file.pdf.gz"
> >

> > What if you decompress ("gunzip /path/to/file.pdf") the file and then do
> > "file /path/to/file.pdf"? Does it say it's a pdf file?
>
> Yes, it says: "file.pdf: PDF document, version 1.5" and can be opened by
> okular. I've also tried compressing PDF documents and opening them with
> okular. This did not work as well.

I've tried opening X.pdf.gz files from version 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 and they all open fine here.
When I compress a pdf file in Dolphin (with Ark) it turns into a X.pdf.tar.gz file and then I do get
the error you're describing. But I do have to explicitly open them with Okular, since it defaults to
Ark with that extension.

Other then that, I don't know.
(I do run Sid, but it's unlikely to be relevant)

Diederik