Re: Calligra plans

  Hello:

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:17:42PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> >   Hello:
>
> Hi Raúl, hi Debian Qt/KDE team,
>
> > El Jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012, José Manuel Santamaría Lema escribió:
> > > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>

> > > No.

> >   Let me try to provide a little more information about this issue. As
> > said, there is no plan to include calligra for Wheezy so far. This is
> > mainly due to upstream not actually having done a final stable version
> > release, IOW 2.4.0
>
> Finally they did. So this reason has gone.

  And now that it's gone, we'll try to get it into shape for release, but you
know, doing our best doesn't warrant we'll make it, although I hope so.

> >   Beside this, there is and has been some effort put on calligra
> > packaging. So far Beta 7 is packaged and as far as I can tell,
> > working. Unfortunately, binaries haven't been published yet.
> >
> >   We are considering pushing them into experimental, but this
> > publication is somewhat bound to upstream final release. This is not a
> > final decision and it also depends on uploaders available free time,
> > since calligra is heavy weigh.
>
> I would love to test Calligra. It seems like it might be a really fine
> software package. I already use Krita regularily and from what I read it
> has become *a lot* better than 2.3. And then Words seem to have received
> quite some improvements as other applications and the framework itself.

  We are now working on an experimental upload. We manage to build it correctly,
and now packaging review is work in progress and uploading is pending.

> It might finally by a viable alternative to Libre Office for me.
>
> I thought about updating / building packages myself, but I think to get up
> to speed with the current packaging might take quite some time. I have
> some basic debian packaging experience, but never packaged anything really
> complex.

  In case you want to fiddle in the packaging you may want to know that like all
of the work done in Debian, this is also worked publicly. In the calligra case
a git repository is hosted in alioth. Regular disclaimer here: this is not for
the faint of heart.

> Anyway, if there is something I could help with in little units of free
> time (say 30 minutes or a hour), I am glad to help as I manage to take
> time for it.

  We'll think about this, but so far I think testing, in general, is the best
thing to do with Calligra. We'll let you know when packages are available.

> Ciao,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

  Regards,