Re: Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Am Freitag, 16. März 2012 schrieb Dietz Pröpper:
> Benjamin Eikel:
> > > I suspect something like that, but can't nail it down. The fact,
> > > that if I fire up gnome, I see the "expected" consumption, around
> > > 15W, and on a freshly created account, kde pulls around 22W
> > > idleing around indicates that it's in some way kde related I
> > > think.
> >
> > have you tried "powertop" [1] to get an idea which process might be
> > responsible for the power consumption?
>
> Indeed, I did, which led me to plasma-desktop in the first place. I see
> around 300 wakeups/s, 1/3 of them via plasma-desktop. Expected are
> around 120-150 on "my" kde workspace. Of course, in "idle" state.

Hmmm, I have easily around 500-600 wakeups/second. But I do not even see
plasma-desktop in the process list on the Overview tab of powertop.

No, no plasma-desktop there at all. But stuff like KWin, Dolphin, Kmail,
Akregator, some Konquerors which were preloaded - why are these doing
anything anyway? -, sometimes Iceweasel, and various Nepomuk stuff like
nepomukindexer, nepomukservicestubs and virtuoso-t, as well as postgres
for Akonadi, some interrupt threads (I use threadirqs kernel option) and
BTRFS.

Still fan isn´t even running most of the time. Sandybrdige CPU is in C7
sleep state in 87% of the time. It idles in about 30-35% of the time and
is at 800 MHz in about 60% of the time. Rest is distributed among
frequencies with the bulk of 2-8% in turbo mode.

The machine is basically doing nothing except for those wakeups.

Thus is you have plasma-desktop in the first place, I think this is not
normal. Unless you do not run anything else at all in the moment. I think
I will try with all user applications closed and look again.

I would test with a new user with a bog standard KDE configuration first. If
that is better I would disable plasmoids one by one starting with those
which I added yourself until I find the culprit. Since these are running in
the context of plasma-desktop and I am not even sure whether they run as
threads there, I do not know any other approach that would work.

Ciao,