Re: Phonon and pulseaudio

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:43:14 PM Seb wrote:

> >> issue > is a "communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.

> >> Which backends are listed when you open the "Backend" tab in System
> >> Settings > Multimedia > Phonon? Which output devices are listed on
> >> the "Device Preference" tab? Do you hear any sound when you select
> >> one of the devices and press the "Test" button on the bottom right
> >> hand side?
> >>
> >> Also post the output of:
> >>
> >> lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio cat /proc/asound/cards
> >
> > Hi Florian,
> >
> > I'm using vlc backend.
>
> I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings.  I had to use the
> Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this.  AFAIK,
> Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

>   phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
>   be installed.
>   phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
>   4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

I did a few extra tests.

I created a new user and started a new session and I got sound!
Nevertheless, once I play with the options in System Settings -> Multimedia ->
Phonon -> Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.
(still playing with vlc backend)

I don't know how to more investigate in order to locate the issue.

Fred.