Re: Phonon and pulseaudio

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:04:33 +0100,
Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> Hi Seb, hi everyone, Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 schrieb Seb:
>> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this.
>> AFAIK, Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
>> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

>> The following packages have unmet dependencies: phonon: Conflicts:
>> phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to be installed.
>> phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
>> 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

> Xine backend is deprected and not maintained anymore upstream.

> Amarok can play mpeg3 files fine with at least gstreamer and it
> shouldn´t be a problem with VLC backend as well.

> Here - ThinkPad T520 with some Intel HD Codec - latest GStreamer
> backend from sid works. Latest VLC backend works as well. It even
> appears to me that the VLC backend is a bit louder, but I am not
> sure. Tested in Systemsettings and Amarok.

Interesting, I found out that I had to purge remove all vlc packages
from my system, apt-get --purge autoremove, and reinstall them all in
order to upgrade to the latest and avoid the problem I posted earlier.
I also found out I was missing the gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 for playing
mpeg3.  All is good now.

Florian, for the volume issues try alsamixer from a shell and press "F6"
to select a sound card and check the levels.  Kmix doesn't show all
these.

--
Seb