Re: Phonon and pulseaudio

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 15:43:14 -0600, Seb wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:08:25 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:

 [...]

> > I'm using vlc backend.
>
> I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings.  I had to use the
> Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this.  AFAIK,
> Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

>   phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
>   be installed.
>   phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
>   4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

I currently have these backends installed:

$ dpkg -l phonon-backend-\* | awk '/^ii/{print $2,$3}'
phonon-backend-gstreamer 4:4.6.0.0-1
phonon-backend-vlc 0.5.0-1

The gstreamer backend works fine for me, including playing mp3 files
with amarok (version 2.5.0-1).

The vlc backend also works here, but the output volume is much lower, so
I have to crank up both amarok's internal volume control and the kmix
control in the system tray. I have the impression that the vlc backend
has an additional volume control that modulates the other controls.
However, I did not investigate this any further due to lack of time and
motivation; I simply switched back to the gstreamer backend.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu