Re: virtuoso-t consumes a lot of cpu time

Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2012 schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Rainer,

> thanks for your quick reply.

A happy new year to you and everyone else!

> Am Friday 30 December 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > Am Freitag, 30. Dezember 2011 schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > virtuoso-t (kde 4.7.4 from Debian experimental, which otherwise is
> > > excellent !) consumes here a lot of CPU time (116% of a dual core)
> > >
> > >   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
> > >   COMMAND
> > >
> > > 28282 rd        39  19  843m 828m 6840 S  150 20.5  86:21.94
> > > virtuoso-t
> > >
> > > The problem does not occur at startup of KDE, but after a while
> > > (even when I am away from the system I see the problem).
> > >
> > > What information is needed to help narrow down the problem?
> >
> > I had this at times during initial Nepomuk desktop search indexing as
> > well. But not all of the times. There have been times where
> > virtuoso-t consumed lots of CPUs and then it has been quiet for a
> > while.
> >
> > I did not see it since then.
> >
> > I had the feeling - completely unproven - that it got better after I
> > raised the maximum amount of memory the database process may use
> > under systemsettings, then "Desktopsuche | Erweiterte Einstellungen"
> > ("desktop search | "extended settings" or something like that). I
> > now have set it to 512 MiB, I think it was 64 MiB initially. I
> > thought 512 MiB wouldn´t be too much considering that the laptop has
> > 8 GiB.
>
> I increased already before posting from 512 MiB to 1024 MiB. I did not
> see a change.

Hmmm... I am out of ideas, except for: Maybe try:

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#High_CPU_or_Memory_usage

It might be applicable with KDEPIM 1 version 4.4.5 as its packaged in
Debian as well.

> > Otherwise you can try disabling desktop search or wait till the
> > initial scan is over.
>
> For me it looks like on my stystem, after restarting the system nepomuk
> starts indexing again from scratch, even when it seems to have
> completed the indexing.

Hmmm, for me Nepomuk from KDE SC 4.7.2/4 is the first one which actually
works nicely. I did not look after activity after login, but I didn´t
noticed that Nepomuk hogs my CPU.

I reduced the number of indexed files considerably by excluding some
directories like "Mail" which holds all the mails from my POP3 accounts -
I still do not use IMAP - cause I think that with KDEPIM 2 mail will be
indexed via Nepomuk separately anyway. I think local mail files from KDEPIM
should be excluded from file indexing automatically, I do not need two mail

Currently I have about 193400 files in the Nepomuk index of about 1,4 GiB
and Nepomuk is completely quiet.

Did you make sure that all the depencing of Nepomuk was updated as well?
Virtuoso, streamanalyzer, soprano…

Ciao,