customize media-player in okular

Hello. I was really happy to discover that okular allows one to play
sound-files and video-files from within PDF documents. This is a big
step forward for a user like me (an academic, using LaTeX and Beamer
to produce PDF for presentations). Sound files are particularly
important for the work I do (in linguistics).

I have a question though: when an external player is called by okular
to handle a particular file-type, where is it defined which program is
called and is this customizable? At present on my system, the player
called is gmplayer, and I would really prefer it to be mplayer with no
GUI. I had thought that this would be handled by the MIME system, so I
added what I hoped would be the right line to ~/.mailcap. This hasn't
had the hoped-for effect, though; gmplayer is still being called.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim