Re: Bug in SystemSettings Samba KDE Squeeze?

Am Montag, 27. Juni 2011 schrieb Matthias Müller:
> Hallo,
>
> Am Montag 27 Juni 2011 schrieb Scott Ferguson:
> > By default the Samba section of SystemSettings for KDE in Squeeze is
> > greyed out.
> >
> > SystemSettings => Advanced => Samba
> >
> > Shouldn't this module load with ksu, prompt for root password when
> > loaded? As a workaround I created Menu entry (using MenuEditor)
> > called SAMBA Config in the System Category, set it to call
> > "kcmshell4 kcmsambaconf" with Launchfeedback enabled, run as root.
> >
> > Squeeze was installed using "expert desktop=kde" and "allow login as
> > root" was selected".
> >
> > Has anyone using sudo (disallow login as root) tried the default
> > setup of the Samba module in SytemSettings and found it to work?
>
> It's not only Samba Config.
> You also have start systemsetting as root if you want to config the
> LoginManager  (I don't know if this is the correct name for it, in
> German it's called "Anmeldungsmanager").
>
> I use "su-to-root -X -c systemsettings"
>
> I think this section should also ask for root
>
> > Did I maybe miss a setting a Policy?
>
> Same question for me

This is a known issue in KDE 4.4.5. The set something as root
functionality is not implemented.

KDE 4.6 uses PolicyKit for the login manager settings dialog. This has the
advantage of not having to run the complete KCM with root rights - with
all the implications like populating a ~/.kde directory in /root, but to
ask for admin priveliges only when saving the configuration.

Samba settings do not seem to be ported to PolicyKit in KDE 4.6 yet. I.e.
still greyed out.