kmail problems on new laptop

Hi all,

I am having a problem with kmail. I built my laptop on the new job
with sid and the included kde 4.4.5. Set up email (kmail 4.4.7), and
it receives just fine, I can compose emails, but when I hit that send
button, both the compose and kmail windows gray out.  I end up killing
it after 15 or 20 minutes, and it gives me the crash dialog with
"Executable: kontact PID: 29071 Signal: 6 (Aborted)" This happens if I
am in kmail directly or in kontact.

Now the Akonadi self test came back with the following errors:

o MySQL server log contains errors.
o Akonadi server proces not registered at D-Bus.
o No resource agents found.
o Previous Akonadi server error log found.
o Current Akonadi control error log found.
o Previous Akonadi control error log found.

Since I know abosolutely zip about Akonadi, could someone give me a
hand with this? I tried going to userbase.kde.org/Akonadi, but it was
referring a lot to issues with apparmor (which I am not running), and
various stuff with restarting Nepomuk, which I did, and am still
getting the same issues...

thanks,
--b