Re: simple question

Heyho!

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 17.00:52 Kai Xin wrote:
[... Linux as a desktop ...]

I use Linux and Debian almost exclusively (server + desktop) for years now
with very good success.

Since the current "stable" Debian is a bit dated (especially for desktop
use, KDE and OpenOffice versions are ancient by todays standards), I
recommend
* get the next stable version (Debian 6 / "squeeze"), which is currently in
preparation and already very stable or
* get lenny and use the "backports" archive to get newer openoffice + KDE
etc. versions.

Since you already know Linux commandline tools, I guess you'll manage
easily.  There are a lot of places to find support on the net, so Google is
your friend.  In the beginning, it may help to have a working computer with
internet connection on the side while installing your first Debian system,
so you can google for answers and tinker with your system without your
actions killing the reference page you're following.

cheers
-- vbi

--
DL: I think Novell and Linux are the great unrecognized marriage in
today's OS space.