Re: plasma-netbook not auto-starting on a fresh install

Package: plasma-netbook
Version: 4:4.4.4-1
Severity: important

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Brendon Higgins <blhiggins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I think I've found a reason why plasma-netbook doesn't autostart.
> /usr/share/autostart/plasma-netbook.desktop doesn't exist. The equivalent,
> plasma-desktop.desktop, does exist (in the plasma-desktop package).
> Presumably, this is why plasma-desktop will autostart, whereas plasma-netbook
> won't.
>
> Now I don't know if plasma-netbook.desktop ought to exist given upstream
> sources, or not. A quick search in KDE sources doesn't find anything, yet
> apparently there is such a file in Ubuntu (Lucid). :-S
>
> I guess the Ubuntu file could be distro custom. I should file a bug with KDE,
> perhaps?
>
> Peace,
> Brendon

I'm turning this email into a bug report, since this seems to be a
packaging problem.

The relevant kubuntu patch seems to be this one [1] and it seems it
has been removed from the 4.5 beta packages, with a changelog message
indicating it has been fixed upstream, although I see no
plasma-netbook.desktop in their plasma-netbook.install file.

I don't fully understand though how this is going to work when one has
both plasma-desktop and plasma-netbook installed... are they both
going to be autostarted? Also, why does plasma-netbook autostart when
plasma-desktop is installed and a "netbook" form factor is selected in
systemsettings? (I had tried that once)

[1]. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/annotate/340/debian/patches/kubuntu_102_plasma_netbook_no_autostart.diff