Re: KDE 4.4.3 upgrade eats 141 MB of /home

On Friday 14 May 2010 12:55:45 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > noatime "breaks" a few applications.  I recommend against it.
> >
> > I've not seen similar issues with relatime, although it is theoretically
> > possible.  I mount using relatime, normally.
>
> It breaks mutt, relatime was invented to fix the mutt issue. A lot of
>  netbooks and machines with only SSDs use noatime now, if noatime broke
>  anything serious at any point, those issues will have been solved by now,
>  SSDs have been out for some time and they need noatime.

SSDs marketed for HD replacement do not need noatime.  They have re-write
limits such that, if written to at maximum speed for the lifetime of a
comparable HD, less than the number of reserved cells would fail and no data
would be lost.  They are roughly 1.5 orders of magnitude more durable than
"thumbdrives" -- they have to be to stand a MS Windows page file or a Linux
swap partition/file.

noatime can increase performance, it does so by breaking the expectations of
at least mutt (possibly others).  atime updates are a normal expectation,
since they've been included in the documentation of dozens of UNIX system
calls since before standardization started on POSIX.

relatime is a much better alternative and is roughly equivalent to the OS
deciding to combine atime updates, which is explicitly allowed by the
standards.