Re: KDE 4.4.3 upgrade eats 141 MB of /home

On Friday 14 May 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2010 11:37:19 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 May 2010, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > > There *has* to be a better way to clean an HTTP cache than to stat
> > > every single file in the cache to then delete a tiny fraction of them.
> > > Someone told me 4.4 improved in this area, but I don't know specifics,
> > > and remain skeptical.
> >
> > If stat updates the files' atime, you may get a lot better performance by
> > simply mounting the relevant partition with relatime or noatime (which
> > for some reason is still not default).
>
> noatime "breaks" a few applications.  I recommend against it.
>
> I've not seen similar issues with relatime, although it is theoretically
> possible.  I mount using relatime, normally.

It breaks mutt, relatime was invented to fix the mutt issue. A lot of netbooks
and machines with only SSDs use noatime now, if noatime broke anything serious
at any point, those issues will have been solved by now, SSDs have been out
for some time and they need noatime.

Also possibly if you don't like the mount flags:
chattr -R +A /var/tmp

Also add
chattr -R +A $KDEHOME

The later is good for the config files.