Re: KDE 4.4.3 upgrade eats 141 MB of /home

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 10:14:52 Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:48:43AM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > > - Long term: Don't use MySQL as the default Akonadi backend, which is
> > >  currently infeasible.
> >
> > It is my understanding that KDE 4.5 will let you choose different
> > backends.
>
> Recent threads on this list suggest that 4.5 will have a number of
> improvements over 4.4.  It's unfortunate that the release timings don't
> line up well, because we're going to end up having to support 4.4 in
> squeeze for a long time to come.

 1. Conspire to keep the RC-bug count high enough on other packages for long
enough that KDE 4.5 gets into testing.
 2. Convince upstream to to release KDE SC 4.4½.0 before the freeze, or roll
these new features into another KDE SC 4.4.x release before the freeze
 3. Where possible, get the feature into Debian by working on the dependencies
outside of "KDE-proper".

I think I'm going to work on 3.  Virtuoso, Akonadi, and Strigi (among others)
may be appropriate for a upgrade before either the freeze or the KDE SC 4.5.0
release.  The KDE-integration parts might be missing, but as long as new
versions don't cripple KDE (AFAIK, their only "consumer" in Debian) new
upstream versions and bug fixes can be accepted until the freeze.

I'm against delaying a Debian freeze/release until after some particular
upstream release.  If we routinely did that, whether for bug fixes or features
we'd never make a release.  If it is an RC-bug, the fix can be backported.