Re: What needs to improve in KDE 4?

On Tuesday 11 May 2010, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> On Monday 10 May 2010 18.12:46 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I started 4.4 on a new ~/.kde
> > folder, can you try in a new user profile and report back?
>
> I hate it when this shows up.  Yes, it's probably easier to debug, but
> often bugs *do* show up that don't happen anymore when I remove my
> ~/.kde directory, but this doesn't really help the user who has the bug.
> Unfortunately, the end result is very often that removing ~/.kde and
> starting from scratch becomes the only solution that is "officially"
> recommended.

read remove as 'move temporarily out of the way', this is just the first
step in localizing the problem: if it doesn't get rid of the problem then
we've established conclusively that the bug is not triggered by something in
your personal settings.

If the problem doesn't persist when removing kde then you either:
a) start afresh, and forget about it
b) start from last good backup (assuming you have one, most home users
seemingly don't)
c) work on localizing the problem further by starting to move parts of your
old .kde into your new empty .kde (in order to find which configuration file
triggers the problem). Once you've localized the problem this way, you'll be
able to give the devs enough info to reproduce your problem, thus enabling
them to start looking for the underlying cause.

c is the way to help with improving kde, but ofc you need to have the time
for it

> Fine.  Except that reconfiguring my desktop to how I want it takes ages.
> I use offline IMAP and have 100s of MB of email in my ~/.kde that will
> need to be re-downloaded.  And stuff like the calendar etc. is in there,
> too.  And the nepomuk database etc.

take procedure b or c above to avoid this?
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)