Re: What needs to improve in KDE 4?

On 10 May 2010 22:43, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> I am generally happy with KDE4. A few issues, though:
>
> 1. Desktop startup speed. A user with few if any widgets around will be
> satisfied. Those of us who want to use a lot of these tools will sit and wait.
> ALL widgets and panel-applets must be asynchronous and background any lengthy
> process such a searches, indexing, testing network and ports and such. ALL
> those daemons and "resources" of akonadi and nepomuk must be nicely niced and
> ioniced out of the way. If recoll's indexing can run nicely and stall nothing,
> so can kde4's stuff.

Even Gnome starts in seconds now. I agree, startup time is absurd,
especially with Akonadi.

> 2. Activity <--> desktop? Still confused? Think of use cases rather than
> concepts which though elegant may lay on the virtual shelf. Dotan's post is a
> welcome step off the ivory tower!

It should improve for KDE 4.5. Aaron (the head Plasma dev) recently
discussed some changes to the Activities, and the possibility of
hiding the feature in 4.5 until it is mature in 4.6.

> 3. Kmail threading. Much much improved, will still crash out occasionally when
> deleting, moving messages.

Really? Please file those crashes! I though that all the serious Kmail
crashers were fixed!

> 4. Untoward pauses in the UI when typing this post.

Can you file a bug on that? I cannot reproduce, but I am not a Kmail
user, only occasionally test it.

> 5. Kaddressbook/Akonadi has too many duplicated "resources." Kaddressbook is
> too slow to be of much use if it has a lot of data. Needs some say of handling
> contact duplication (which I got by accident and am stuck with).

With Akonadi (4.4)? I don't find it slow at all, and I'm pushing 500 contacts.

> 6. Very old issue: KDE should respect the "system administrator"s settings of
> file permissions. If I mess up, that's my fault.

Please elaborate.

> To be continued ...

Yes, please!

> BTW, distasteful expressions such as "sucks" have gotten much too common on
> these lists, are offensive and not professional!

Agreed. As a non-native English speaker who knows where the term came
from, it does make me sick.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com