Re: What needs to improve in KDE 4?

I am generally happy with KDE4. A few issues, though:

1. Desktop startup speed. A user with few if any widgets around will be
satisfied. Those of us who want to use a lot of these tools will sit and wait.
ALL widgets and panel-applets must be asynchronous and background any lengthy
process such a searches, indexing, testing network and ports and such. ALL
those daemons and "resources" of akonadi and nepomuk must be nicely niced and
ioniced out of the way. If recoll's indexing can run nicely and stall nothing,
so can kde4's stuff.

2. Activity <--> desktop? Still confused? Think of use cases rather than
concepts which though elegant may lay on the virtual shelf. Dotan's post is a
welcome step off the ivory tower!

3. Kmail threading. Much much improved, will still crash out occasionally when
deleting, moving messages.

4. Untoward pauses in the UI when typing this post.

5. Kaddressbook/Akonadi has too many duplicated "resources." Kaddressbook is
too slow to be of much use if it has a lot of data. Needs some say of handling
contact duplication (which I got by accident and am stuck with).

6. Very old issue: KDE should respect the "system administrator"s settings of
file permissions. If I mess up, that's my fault.

To be continued ...

BTW, distasteful expressions such as "sucks" have gotten much too common on
these lists, are offensive and not professional!