Re: KDE unable to play complete K3B .wav files

Hi,

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> * On 2010 08 May 09:10 -0500, Diederik de Haas wrote:
>> On 2010-05-08 Nate Bargmann wrote:
>> > In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
>> > configure K3B) only the first note is played.
>>
>> Tried it from K3b and I can confirm your findings
>>
>> > In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
>> > entire file is played.
>>
>> Same here, although I've played it with both Amarok as smplayer
>>
>> > Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
>> > button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.
>>
>> Same here.
>>
>> > Here is an oddity I've noticed
>>
>> It sure is odd.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation, Diederik.  I wonder which package to file a
> bug report against?  The k3b package may in fact be easiest to request
> that the sound files be packaged in .ogg format, but that only masks
> that fact that something in the KDE sound stack is having an issue with
> .wav files.
>
> My system is configured to use the Phonon Xine Backend in Sound and Video
> Configuration.  Could that be the culprit and how can we test?
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html

Triying with dragonplayer it also fails with xine backend, amarok and
kaffeine on the other hand play it complete.

Switched to gstreamer backend and DragonPlayer played it successfully.

I think you may have to file two separate bugreports: one to k3b
suggesting as a new feature to use ogg files instead of wavs; and a
separate to phonon indicating to xine backend fails to play k3b's
files.

But since it does play ok with amarok (which also uses phonon)
probably will be nice to ask this question to a phonon developer,
maybe that the issue is in k3b and dragonplayer.

Cheers,
Ismael