KDE unable to play complete K3B .wav files

Here is an oddity I've noticed for a while.  When K3B finishes buring a
CD it plays a sound file, k3b_success1.wav, which is a trumpet of several
seconds.  Lately I've only heard the first note or two.  After a bit of
checking here is what I've found:

In System Settings configure notification (also from the same menu in
configure K3B) only the first note is played.

In Dolphin clicking on k3b_success1.wav launches gnome-mplayer and the
entire file is played.

Also in Dolphin with k3b_success1.wav highlighted clicking the play
button in the far right hand pane plays the first three notes.

In Audacity, k3b_success1.wav plays in its entirety.  Looking at the
waveform shows no reason to why it should be truncated by KDE.

As an experiment I converted the three .wav files included with the
k3b-data~all.deb package to .ogg format (which match the KDE files
included in /usr/share/shounds) and they play fine.  I am running an up
to date Sid installation with K3B 1.91.0-rc2-1 and KDE 4.4.

- Nate >>