Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Am Freitag 07 Mai 2010 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
> On Friday 07 May 2010 05:42:55 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > Have you installed and tried it?  I have.  It does require Akonadi
> > > in KDE 4.4.3.
> >
> > Again, no. KAddressBook does. And KMail uses KAddressBook for address
> > completion.
>
> KMail did not hang during address completion.  I composed a reply
> without having keyboard focus enter any of the address fields.  Once I
> hit the "[Send]" button, the UI froze for both the composer and the
> main (Kontact) window.
>
> Closing either stalled and then KWin asked if I wanted to forcefully
> terminate the application.  After doing so, I restarted contact from a
> shell in order to watch the various messages printed.
>
> Kontact started normally and my message was in my drafts folder.  I
> opened the message from there and clicked "[Send]".  Again, the UI
> froze in both the composer and the main windows.  On the console,
> about once every .5 sec. or so, an error message was printing
> indicating that the application could not connect to the local Akonadi
> server (or maybe it was that Akonadi couldn't connect to the local
> DB).
>
> In either case, KMail 4.4.3 will not send mail unless I have Akonadi
> and MySQL installed.  I do not have KAddressBook or KOrganizer
> installed, since even the versions from testing have a indirect
> Depends relationship on MySQL.

Hmmm, strange. Well maybe KMail does address completion more directly than
via KAddressBook. There might be a component in KDEPIM libs doing that for
KMail. For - just for looking up email address - KMail really calls into
Akonadi.

But AFAIK it doesn't use Akonadi - through what ways ever - for anything
other than retrieving contact data. Thus the use of Akonadi could not be
that wide-spread in KMail.

However, KDEPIM will use Akonadi more and more, so IMHO its better to have
Akonadi improved and fixed than to remove the Akonadi dependency in KMail
temporarily.