Re: Kde 3.5 ...

[Mike Bird - Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 23:37:43]
> On Thu May 6 2010 14:08:42 Mark Purcell wrote:
> > This is free software, nobody is forced to do anything.
> >
> > You are free to upgrade to KDE4, you are free to keep your system running
> > with KDE3 for as long as you want.  Hey I still have one system running
> > KDE2 for stability reasons, its a router.
> >
> > You are free to fork the KDE3 lenny packages and provide bug fixes for as
> > long as you want. You are free to run KDE3 lenny without bug fixes for as
> > long as you want.
> >
> > The Debian KDE maintainers are free to remain in sync with upstream.
>
> So much freedom!
>
> I'm not sure what the KDE developers have to offer if their best
> suggestion is that KDE end users should take over KDE development.
>
> The Debian KDE team apparently intends to delete the KDE 3.5
> packages from Debian stable when Squeeze is released.  That
> hurts a LOT of people.  Debian is the sole remaining major
> distro that cared enough for its users to ship KDE 3.5.
>
> Maybe we can fork KDE in time.  Maybe not.  Perhaps we should
> join Trinity.  I guess this discussion is about trying to figure
> out what KDE end users can do when Debian pulls the plug on us.
>
> Are we - KDE's non-DD non-DM end users - free to include KDE 3.5
> in Debian Squeeze?  Why not keep KDE SC 4 in experimental where
> it belongs for a few more years?

This is getting ridiculous!
KDE 4 works for so many people. Sure every one of them
will find something that's not to his full satisfaction
and even bugs. But it works!

I have to work with KDE 3 at the university and it kind
of hurts sometimes. So who is right then, you or me?

There will be at least as many people that will complain
about not shipping KDE 4 if you were the one to decide.

KDE 3 is unmaintained, many of the underlying libraries
are unmaintained, maintaining it in Debian would likely
be an impossible[1] act.

So if you KDE 3 box runs so smoothly, just keep it. We
still have Win95 boxes running ...

If the Debian KDE maintainers do not have enough manpower
to as well maintain KDE 3, then they would work less
on getting KDE 4 integrated. Yeah, ruin it for all the
others.

Regards

[1] practically, not theoretically