Re: Kde 3.5 ...

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 22:12, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:

> The whole semantic desktop idea is a bad joke in the real MULTI-USER
> world.  If semantics are to have any value they must evolve on the
> server from all the members of the workgroup, not an isolated user.

Semantics can be pushed from above or below. If you want semantics,
any place to start is better than no place to start. And no one can just
keep your own personal information from you when you save it locally.

> The semantic desktop was fifty years out of date before the first line
> of code was written.

That, or the times were not ready back then. Personally, I am not
sure if they are ready now.

> It's sole achievement is draining laptop batteries.

I agree 100%.
Turn them off. It's what I do.

> We've had more than two years of being told "KDE SC 4 is good enough".

True. And it kept on silently infuriating me as well. But filing bugs
helps. And with 4.4, we got to a point where one does not have to be
ashamed for using, and defending, KDE 4 any more.

Richard

PS: Maybe the semantic desktop will become truly useful
during KDE 4's lifetime. Who knows :)