Re: akonadi first time start bugs with KDE 4.4.3

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Diederik de Haas:
> On 2010-05-06 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Bug 236538 -  often does not find resource agents on first start of
> > Kontact https://bugs.kde.org/236538
> >
> > Bug 236539 -  dbus session bus not available on first start of
> > Kontact - race condition?
> > https://bugs.kde.org/236539
>
> I can confirm both of these bugs.
> Possible 'workaround' can be found at:
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
>
> ie wrt 236538: close Kontact. Start KAddressBook standalone. Quit
> KAddressBook. Start Kontact.

Where? I just found a work-around for the MySQL issue under "Table 'mysql.
servers' doesn't exist" that I do not believe to really fix the bug. I
believe that /etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf should just work. This might
be one of the packaging related issues, but I'd like to have upstream
feedback on that one as well.

My current work-around is just to close Kontact completely again and start
it another time. This will work for now.

Apart from that I am not interested in work-arounds. I am interested in
*fixes*.

Oh well and then there is:

Environment Setup
The Akonadi server searches for Akonadi agents and resources in the paths
defined in the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable. If Akonadi complains
about not finding agents or resources, check if this variable is set
correctly. Also keep in mind that even if set in a current console
session, it might not have been set when starting the server. Starting the
server manually in the current console session excludes this cause.

But why should I set it when it works automatically out of the box on
second start of Kontact?

I am hesitant to *fix* things by work-arounds that customize my Akonadi
installation and possible create problems on upgrades. I expect Akonadi to
just work *out of the box* and rather help with getting it into this
shape, by reporting each and any bug I find. Thats as much I can do as long
as I do not want to dig into Akonadi as a developer.

Ciao,