Re: Kde 3.5 ...

2010/5/6 Jorge Gonçalves <jmg.correio@gmail.com>:
> Hello!
>
> First, thank you for the great distro that is Debian, one of the best.
>
> I would like to suggest you some way so that the users keep on using
> the good old KDE 3.5 when they migrate to the upcoming Lenny.
>
> Maybe use dummy packages, or rename the packages so that KDE 3.5 could
> remain installed, and not be forced to upgrade to Kde4.
>
> I really feel sorry that KDE 3 series is no more being developed, and
> when the day cames that I no longer will be able to use KDE 3, I will
> switch to Apple or even Windows, but NEVER to kde4 or Gnome!
> (and I feel many users out there think like me!!!)
>
> Thank you, keep the good work, Debian is one of the best.
> Jorge.

You might be interested in the Pearson packages, which have KDE 3.5.10
with tons of bug fixes backported. It's not for Debian but for
Debian-derived Ubuntu, still, it works:
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

Furthermore, I file bug reports and feature requests for KDE. If you
let me know what problems you are having with KDE 4.4, I will gladly
file issues. KDE 4.0 and 4.1 were a mess, but KDE 4.2 and 4.3 were
very usable. So far as I know KDE 4.4 addresses all but three or four
KDE 3 regression issues. It's also lightweight on hardware (lighter
that KDE 3!) so long as you are not loading Qt3 apps in addition to
the Qt4.

Just let me know what is still broken, and I will see if it can be
taken care of. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com