Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 23.21:15 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In 4.4, kmail depends on mysql-server in order to send mail. (kmail ->
> Akonadi  -> mysql-server).

Note that mysql recently split their server package into a "server" and a
"core" package, so you get a minimal mysql installation without a system-
wide copy of mysql running.

Yes, akonadi will still use mysql internally, but it's (mostly) transparent
to the user.  My main issue with the akonadi/mysql dependencies is thus
solved.

(Yes, it is not very cool to have mysql running for akonadi and virtuoso for
nepomuk/strigi and probably quite a few copies of libsqlite and libdb for
other subsystems.  But I guess we'll just have to live with that unless
we're prepared to do the work ourselves... )

cheers
-- vbi

--
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws
of nature!