Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 17:07:16 Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Miércoles, 5 de Mayo de 2010, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
> > In 4.3, this is not true.  From what I hear on upstream mailing lists,
> > this won't be true in 4.5.  Upstream is already aware and working on the
> > issue, but it falls under "new feature" so it won't be included in the
> > 4.4.x line.
> >
> > For me, KDE 4.4 is the most broken KDE release since 4.1 (I didn't try
> > 4.0).   I'd rather have 4.3.x in Squeeze than 4.4.
>
> 4.5 won't be ready on time, and it's almost impossible to go back to 4.3
>  (it would require raising an epoch, do a really complicated transition,
>  and lots, lots, lots of work).
>
> Debian packagers don't have that much time to spend on packaging (they are
> volunteers after all), and hardly they can do decisions about which
> particular branch is better.
> They have to package the last one which has
>  been released, unless has been released very soon and there is no time for
>  testing.

Stable is going to be with those users for at least a year, probably more.
They deserve more than whatever upstream wants to throw at the wall this week.

>  Also, is specially hard to decide which branch is better, because
>  branch A can have application X in a great shape, and application Y in a
>  bad one, while in branch B the case might be the opposite. And having to
>  one app has one annoying dependency is a little bit overkill, isn't it?

Just block the KDEPIM 4.4 apps from migrating to testing.  The KDEPIM 4.3
programs already work with the KDEBASE 4.4 libraries.

Heck, just stop *kmail* from migrating.  Korganizer and KAddressBook have
required Akonadi since 4.2 or earlier.

These responses are quite frustrating.  I read Ana's post as "please make sure
KDE 4.4 is ready for stable".  My post was "KDE 4.4 is inappropriate for
stable".  All the replies have been "too bad, we are going to release it
anyway".

/saddened