Re: KDE Issues under "Squeeze"

Sune Vuorela wrote:

> On 2010-04-25, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>         First of all, Akonadi will not run, but I also can't seem to
>>         get rid of
>> it.  Is there a way to keep KDE, yet get rid of Akonadi?  If not,
>> I'll post the logs and backtraces.
>
> No. there is no way to keep all of KDE and get rid of akonadi. It is a
> essential part of kdepim.

        I don't particularly want PIM, either.  KPackage, IceWeasel, Ksensors,
NUT, Wine, and WireShark are all I really care about.  Only Ksensors
and KPackage require KDE.  You say, "no way to keep all of KDE..".  I
don't care about all of KDE.  I only want KDM and the utilities I
listed above, plus of course the terminal servers.

>>         Secondly, KPackage is badly broken.  It only shows a handful
>>         of
>> applications installed or available.  Synaptic or aptitude show
>> thousands available and hundreds installed, of course.  What's more,
>> I no longer see how one can manage the sources in the new KDE4
>> KPackage.
>
> KPackage is being removed very soon and is already gone in
> experimental.

        That's really bad news.  Without KPackage, there really isn't much
reason to run KDE.